MATHCOUNTS is a national enrichment, club and competition program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement through grassroots involvement in every U.S. state and territory. MATHCOUNTS heightens student interest in mathematics by making math achievement challenging and exciting.
- MATHCOUNTS builds math skills, promotes logical thinking and sharpens students' analytical abilities.
- MATHCOUNTS motivates and rewards students by fostering teamwork and a competitive spirit.
- MATHCOUNTS is more than a competition. It involves students and teachers in year-long coaching sessions and helps students at all levels improve their critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- MATHCOUNTS provides America's middle school teachers with creative, interesting and comprehensive curriculum materials, free of charge.
- MATHCOUNTS introduces students to science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers through contacts with engineers and other professionals who serve as volunteers. More than 17,000 volunteers participate annually to coach students and conduct competitions.
- MATHCOUNTS is educator-driven. Materials and activities are structured to meet student needs, as identified by educators. Members of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) develop these materials in accordance with NCTM curriculum standards for grades 6-8.